walnut sunflower oil will not go rancid
Electric Comet
2015-12-09 17:32:07 UTC
read that walnut oil and sunflower oil will not go rancid

could not find any walnut oil but sunflower oil is cheap and easy to get
so am trying that out on some stuff

a little goes a long way and it seems to give better coverage than mineral
oil and it is cheaper too

was watching some turning videos of ernie conover and sure enough he
has been using walnut oil for years on his wood and his salad
BenignBodger
2015-12-09 21:29:06 UTC
Post by Electric Comet
read that walnut oil and sunflower oil will not go rancid
could not find any walnut oil but sunflower oil is cheap and easy to get
so am trying that out on some stuff
a little goes a long way and it seems to give better coverage than mineral
oil and it is cheaper too
was watching some turning videos of ernie conover and sure enough he
has been using walnut oil for years on his wood and his salad
I've not tried sunflower oil for furniture but walnut oil is excellent. As
for finding it, try in any decent supermarket -- it is a favorite edible oil.
Electric Comet
2015-12-10 03:32:45 UTC
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 16:29:06 -0500
Post by BenignBodger
I've not tried sunflower oil for furniture but walnut oil is
excellent. As for finding it, try in any decent supermarket -- it is
a favorite edible oil.
i have been keeping an eye out but need to look at some of the high
end stores that i never go to
marc rosen
2015-12-10 12:56:04 UTC
Hey Comet,
I have purchased walnut oil from Woodcraft on line. I don't know if you patronize them but I thought I'd mention its availability.
Marc
b***@gmail.com
2015-12-10 14:27:34 UTC
a search using g00gle indicates a variety of opinions as to whether WO goes rancid or not
Caveat emptor, as usual, I guess...
Electric Comet
2015-12-10 16:28:11 UTC
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 06:27:34 -0800 (PST)
Post by b***@gmail.com
a search using g00gle indicates a variety of opinions as to whether
surprised that there are differing data on the internet

ernie conover gave real data that he used walnut oil

it is possible that his example is tricky because they were for a salad bowl
and salad tongs

both of those get washed regularly so there are no problems in his case
Leon
2015-12-10 17:18:51 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
a search using g00gle indicates a variety of opinions as to whether
surprised that there are differing data on the internet
There are a lot of so called French Models on the internet.
Scott Lurndal
2015-12-10 17:41:21 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
a search using g00gle indicates a variety of opinions as to whether
surprised that there are differing data on the internet
There are a lot of so called French Models on the internet.
Don't they polish with shellac (and a few drops of mineral oil)?

I tend to defer to Flexner for questions about finishes.

"Still other oils, such as walnut oil, soybean oil, and safflower
oil, are semi-curing: They cure very slowly and never very hard. They
are only marginally effective as finishes."
krw
Electric Comet
2015-12-11 03:55:08 UTC
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 04:56:04 -0800 (PST)
Post by marc rosen
I have purchased walnut oil from Woodcraft on line. I don't know if
you patronize them but I thought I'd mention its availability. Marc
i have not bought from them
i usually buy consumables locally
especially if they are liquid
i have a few more places to check locally although it is not urgnet

i did buy some tung oil online but only because i could not find any local
at such a good price
Kevin Miller
2015-12-11 18:49:14 UTC
Post by marc rosen
I have purchased walnut oil from Woodcraft on line. I don't know if
you patronize them but I thought I'd mention its availability. Marc
i have not bought from them
i usually buy consumables locally
especially if they are liquid
i have a few more places to check locally although it is not urgnet
i did buy some tung oil online but only because i could not find any local
at such a good price
I've found the walnut oil in the health food section at our local Fred
Meyer (a NW chain) rather than in the normal salad dressing area. Might
double check there, if your supermarket has such an area...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
- Lawrence Summers
Electric Comet
2015-12-11 19:03:55 UTC
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 09:49:14 -0900
Post by Kevin Miller
I've found the walnut oil in the health food section at our local
Fred Meyer (a NW chain) rather than in the normal salad dressing
area. Might double check there, if your supermarket has such an
area...
good tip
usually the more expensive stores have a more diverse selection of
stuff like this

i just have to get to one of them since i am not a regular
b***@gmail.com
2015-12-15 14:55:00 UTC
i just have to get to one of them since i am not regular
I think castor oil would be better for that...
Electric Comet
2015-12-15 17:04:02 UTC
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 06:55:00 -0800 (PST)
Post by b***@gmail.com
I think castor oil would be better for that...
mineral oil can also work and i heard castor oil has a very nasty taste
mineral probably not good tasting either but i heard castor can induce
vomiting

i have never use either for that purpose

now i wonder if castor oil provides a good wood finish
Drew Lawson
2015-12-15 14:41:23 UTC
Post by Electric Comet
i did buy some tung oil online but only because i could not find any local
at such a good price
Be aware that "tung oil" is notorious for not actually being tung
oil, especially if the label says anything like "tung oil finish."
One of the magazines (probably Fine Woodworking) did an article on
that in the last year or two, listing the various brands and what
the actual (or at least apparent) content was.

They ranged from pure tung oil all the way to straight BLO.
--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.
-- Casady
Electric Comet
2015-12-15 16:54:42 UTC
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 14:41:23 +0000 (UTC)
Post by Drew Lawson
Be aware that "tung oil" is notorious for not actually being tung
oil, especially if the label says anything like "tung oil finish."
One of the magazines (probably Fine Woodworking) did an article on
that in the last year or two, listing the various brands and what
the actual (or at least apparent) content was.
i think that was another part of the reson i bought online
i did finally find just tung oil and nothing else in it
graham
2015-12-16 05:09:40 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Be aware that "tung oil" is notorious for not actually being tung
oil, especially if the label says anything like "tung oil finish."
One of the magazines (probably Fine Woodworking) did an article on
that in the last year or two, listing the various brands and what
the actual (or at least apparent) content was.
i think that was another part of the reson i bought online
i did finally find just tung oil and nothing else in it
If it's pure, you have to be very patient. It takes ages to cure.
Once cured, it's food safe but is a powerful emetic (IIRC) until then.
Graham

Electric Comet
2015-12-17 21:05:10 UTC
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 22:09:40 -0700
Post by graham
If it's pure, you have to be very patient. It takes ages to cure.
Once cured, it's food safe but is a powerful emetic (IIRC) until then.
i discovered that long cure time
i gave it as a gift before it was finished curing and said let it sit for a while
until it is not gummy at all

would not surprise me that it is an emetic
probably most oils that cannot be digested are
Larry Kraus
2015-12-10 17:44:44 UTC
Post by Electric Comet
read that walnut oil and sunflower oil will not go rancid
could not find any walnut oil but sunflower oil is cheap and easy to get
so am trying that out on some stuff
a little goes a long way and it seems to give better coverage than mineral
oil and it is cheaper too
was watching some turning videos of ernie conover and sure enough he
has been using walnut oil for years on his wood and his salad
Ten years ago, bought a pint of mineral oil at the drug store for our
three cutting boards, still have a bit left. Cost differences over time
are too small to matter. Does not affect taste of food, does not become
rancid, has not become sticky or gummy.

Y'all are over-thinkin' this..
Electric Comet
2015-12-10 18:08:55 UTC
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:44:44 -0500
Post by Larry Kraus
Y'all are over-thinkin' this..
alternatives are good to have

some people like plant based oils and look for that kind of thing
on the label
Bill Day
2015-12-18 15:39:00 UTC
Post by Larry Kraus
Y'all are over-thinkin' this..
alternatives are good to have
some people like plant based oils and look for that kind of thing
on the label
A little late to this, but as a turner, I learned about walnut oil
years ago. It DOES dry and does not remain sticky. I use it almost
exclusively to finish turnings. (I also use a 3-stage buffing and wax
treatment for most, but the walnut oil is the base.) For woodwork that
is not a turning, I would use a buffing wheel in a high speed flexible
shaft.

I find it in my local supermarket.
PURE tung oil is also good, but as noted above it must be undiluted
with other stuff.
remove nonsense for reply
graham
2015-12-18 17:57:27 UTC
Post by Larry Kraus
Y'all are over-thinkin' this..
alternatives are good to have
some people like plant based oils and look for that kind of thing
on the label
A little late to this, but as a turner, I learned about walnut oil
years ago. It DOES dry and does not remain sticky. I use it almost
exclusively to finish turnings. (I also use a 3-stage buffing and wax
treatment for most, but the walnut oil is the base.) For woodwork that
is not a turning, I would use a buffing wheel in a high speed flexible
shaft.
I find it in my local supermarket.
PURE tung oil is also good, but as noted above it must be undiluted
with other stuff.
I like to use food-safe finishes on my bowls and with some, one applies
so little that they are essentially useless.
Graham

Martin Eastburn
2015-12-19 02:22:58 UTC
And to add to the food-safe - you me and all make stuff that
we use to show and such. Not intended for food but look pretty.

We pass or give the plate/bowl/hat to someone. They use it for
Chips. Oil in chips mix with whatever...
Use it for candy etc.

We can't label our work NOT FOR FOOD or whatnot.

Best to be safe and for ourselves when we apply it or dry it in
the shop. The stuff goes into the air we breathe and walk in.

Martin