Idle thoughts: Red rag to blue rag to red rag
HeyBub
2012-02-23 13:06:24 UTC
I recently grabbed an ordinary red shop rag to wipe down a bathtub with
Muriatic acid.

The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)

When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!

Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
Mike Marlow
2012-02-23 13:18:31 UTC
Post by HeyBub
I recently grabbed an ordinary red shop rag to wipe down a bathtub
with Muriatic acid.
Dude - that's one hell of a cleanliness fetish you have there! Most people
would be happy with a quick swipe with a household cleaner to get the ring
out.
Post by HeyBub
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
No clue. But - Pity the person that climbs into that bathtub next...
--
-Mike-
***@windstream.net
Larry Jaques
2012-02-23 15:46:20 UTC
Post by HeyBub
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
No clue. But - Pity the person that climbs into that bathtub next...
Yes, shop rags are treated to show you when they've become
contaminated with acid, usually battery acid. It helps the mechanic
keep the acid from being passed around to other items. If it turns
blue, toss it in the laundry bin.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
-- Albert Einstein
Leon
2012-02-23 18:54:58 UTC
Post by HeyBub
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
No clue. But - Pity the person that climbs into that bathtub next...
Yes, shop rags are treated to show you when they've become
contaminated with acid, usually battery acid. It helps the mechanic
keep the acid from being passed around to other items. If it turns
blue, toss it in the laundry bin.
Really? The shop management let the mechanics mix acid contaminated
rags with soiled rags? It would be less expensive to throw a rag with
blue witness spots away.
Larry Jaques
2012-02-23 21:48:19 UTC
Post by HeyBub
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
No clue. But - Pity the person that climbs into that bathtub next...
Yes, shop rags are treated to show you when they've become
contaminated with acid, usually battery acid. It helps the mechanic
keep the acid from being passed around to other items. If it turns
blue, toss it in the laundry bin.
Really? The shop management let the mechanics mix acid contaminated
rags with soiled rags? It would be less expensive to throw a rag with
blue witness spots away.
Yes, unless it was solid blue, it went in with the others at every
shop I worked for for about 15 years, per the laundry company's
request.

Machinist's rags, with metal shavings/lathe turnings on them went in a
separate can, though. Ever wipe your face with one of those? DAMN,
it hurts.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
-- Hugh Macleod
Leon
2012-02-24 12:22:23 UTC
Post by Larry Jaques
Post by HeyBub
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
No clue. But - Pity the person that climbs into that bathtub next...
Yes, shop rags are treated to show you when they've become
contaminated with acid, usually battery acid. It helps the mechanic
keep the acid from being passed around to other items. If it turns
blue, toss it in the laundry bin.
Really? The shop management let the mechanics mix acid contaminated
rags with soiled rags? It would be less expensive to throw a rag with
blue witness spots away.
Yes, unless it was solid blue, it went in with the others at every
shop I worked for for about 15 years, per the laundry company's
request.
ROTFL, per the laundry company's request! They were the ones selling
replacement rags, right?
Larry Jaques
2012-02-24 14:54:46 UTC
Post by Leon
Post by Larry Jaques
Post by HeyBub
[...]
<g> No, it was a service. We rented them. If it were a problem,
they'd request that we keep them separate and they'd make us pay for
the bluies.

-- Hugh Macleod
Leon
2012-02-24 17:02:07 UTC
Post by Leon
Post by Larry Jaques
Post by HeyBub
[...]
Right you rent until the rag is damaged with acid, the blue spots are
the sign that the rags will have holes in them when they are washed.
The price of replacement rags is added to the bill. Mechanics don't pay
the bills. Soo in my shop the mechanics were instructed to throw away
the rags with blue spots in a special trash bin, so as not to
contaminate those in the laundry hamper. My shop foreman and the
uniform service guy pulled and counted every rag to be sure there were
no blue spots on them.
HeyBub
2012-02-24 02:45:45 UTC
Post by Mike Marlow
Post by HeyBub
I recently grabbed an ordinary red shop rag to wipe down a bathtub
with Muriatic acid.
Dude - that's one hell of a cleanliness fetish you have there! Most
people would be happy with a quick swipe with a household cleaner to
get the ring out.
It wasn't cleanliness that was the motivating factor; it was trying to find
the best way to remove caked-on crud. Had the acid not worked, my backup
plan was a single-edged razor blade.

I now have a female living with me and she's absolutely anal about things
being tidy. She even insists on washing coffee cups between uses.

Why, I have no idea.
Mike Marlow
2012-02-24 03:20:05 UTC
Post by HeyBub
I now have a female living with me and she's absolutely anal about
things being tidy. She even insists on washing coffee cups between
uses.
What the??? Something's wrong with this woman!
--
-Mike-
***@windstream.net
Doug Miller
2012-02-23 13:28:02 UTC
Post by HeyBub
I recently grabbed an ordinary red shop rag to wipe down a bathtub
with Muriatic acid.
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
Same principle -- a dye that changes color depending on acidity -- but not litmus. (Litmus is red in
acidic solutions, blue in basic.) Various plant dyes could behave this way; Google "pH indicator" for
more information.
Leon
2012-02-23 13:43:15 UTC
Post by HeyBub
I recently grabbed an ordinary red shop rag to wipe down a bathtub with
Muriatic acid.
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
Red shop rags have a die to react with acid. Most often these rags are
used in automotive shops. If you get battery acid on the rag you don't
want to use that rag to wipe a smudge off of the floor board carpet or
seats.
Leon
2012-02-23 13:51:35 UTC
Post by HeyBub
I recently grabbed an ordinary red shop rag to wipe down a bathtub with
Muriatic acid.
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
Red shop rags have a die to react with acid. Most often these rags are
used in automotive shops. If you get battery acid on the rag you don't
want to use that rag to wipe a smudge off of the floor board carpet or
seats.
A follow up to that explanation.

ALSO automotive shops typically use a uniform service to handle the
clothing and rag needs in the shop. All of these items are rented and a
fee is paid to clean weekly. When the dirty rags are collected to be
cleaned they are excluded from the group if nay have the blue spots on
them and the shop is billed fro a replacement rag. Tossing a red rag
with a blue spot on it in to a group of red rags will contaminate the
other rags and they too will show blue spots. SO, automotive shops
typically throw away a red rag with blue spots on it.
Gerald Ross
2012-02-23 15:31:45 UTC
Post by Leon
Post by HeyBub
[...]
My brother just had some work done on his car. The bill was detailed,
listing
number of shop rags used and amount of "kitty litter" used on the
floor. Sounded
like a hospital bill. Maybe they ARE car doctors.
--
Gerald Ross

Confusion not only reigns, it pours
Mike Marlow
2012-02-23 15:43:55 UTC
Post by Gerald Ross
My brother just had some work done on his car. The bill was detailed,
listing
number of shop rags used and amount of "kitty litter" used on the
floor. Sounded
like a hospital bill. Maybe they ARE car doctors.
My best friend is an insurance adjuster - or appraiser - or something like
that. His job is to make sure the shops are doing the right level of work
at the right price. Seems it is becoming more common to detail materials
useage to this level. Kind of silly on one hand, but that's what's
happening. That kind of thing used to fall under "overhead". Must be not
so much now.
--
-Mike-
***@windstream.net
Leon
2012-02-23 18:50:58 UTC
Post by Mike Marlow
Post by Gerald Ross
My brother just had some work done on his car. The bill was detailed,
listing
number of shop rags used and amount of "kitty litter" used on the
floor. Sounded
like a hospital bill. Maybe they ARE car doctors.
My best friend is an insurance adjuster - or appraiser - or something like
that. His job is to make sure the shops are doing the right level of work
at the right price. Seems it is becoming more common to detail materials
useage to this level. Kind of silly on one hand, but that's what's
happening. That kind of thing used to fall under "overhead". Must be not
so much now.
I suspect that the shops may be itemizing the shop materials to keep
from having to absorb all of the sales tax on the service provided by
the cleaning service. Itemizing allows for the tax to be collected from
the customer.
Swingman
2012-02-23 19:09:34 UTC
Post by Leon
Post by Mike Marlow
[...]
Plus "overhead" is generally spread over all projects in a given year by
using a calculated rate; and a "direct cost", as when itemized above, is
associated with a specific job/project.

Hell, I don't know! ... ask that CPA son (or Dad) of your's. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
HHSupply
Larry Jaques
2012-02-23 15:56:47 UTC
Post by Gerald Ross
Post by Leon
Post by HeyBub
[...]
Labor rates are over $100/hr now, sometimes as much as $150/hr.

Everyone's acting like a doctor now. My oral surgeon got $915 for 14
minutes of work, so that's $3,921.43/hr. That's $157k on a good week,
or $7,843,860 for a full year of services. <thud>

Chiropractors and Veterinarians are easily clearing half a mil a year
these days, too.

-- Albert Einstein
Leon
2012-02-23 18:47:38 UTC
Post by Leon
Post by HeyBub
[...]
A shop recoups the cost of those type materials like that or charging
$3~$4 more per labor hour.
Swingman
2012-02-23 15:34:04 UTC
clothing and rag needs in the shop. All of these items are rented and a
fee is paid to clean weekly. When the dirty rags are collected to be
cleaned they are excluded from the group if nay have the blue spots on
them and the shop is billed fro a replacement rag. Tossing a red rag
with a blue spot on it in to a group of red rags will contaminate the
other rags and they too will show blue spots. SO, automotive shops
typically throw away a red rag with blue spots on it.
Damn ... can still learn something new everyday.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
Steve Turner
2012-02-23 18:39:31 UTC
Post by Swingman
clothing and rag needs in the shop. All of these items are rented and a
fee is paid to clean weekly. When the dirty rags are collected to be
cleaned they are excluded from the group if nay have the blue spots on
them and the shop is billed fro a replacement rag. Tossing a red rag
with a blue spot on it in to a group of red rags will contaminate the
other rags and they too will show blue spots. SO, automotive shops
typically throw away a red rag with blue spots on it.
Damn ... can still learn something new everyday.
Isn't that something? When I was 18 I thought I knew it all, but here
it is 30+ years later and I'm still being humbled by how little I
actually DO know. I can't remember exactly when I finally realized I
wasn't as smart as I thought I was...
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Swingman
2012-02-23 18:44:55 UTC
Post by Swingman
Damn ... can still learn something new everyday.
Isn't that something? When I was 18 I thought I knew it all, but here it
is 30+ years later and I'm still being humbled by how little I actually
DO know. I can't remember exactly when I finally realized I wasn't as
smart as I thought I was...
Had no question about that, myself. My Dad, being not too overly
concerned with what is known today as "self esteem", reminded me of that
on a daily basis! :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
Larry Jaques
2012-02-23 21:45:05 UTC
Post by Swingman
Post by Swingman
Damn ... can still learn something new everyday.
Isn't that something? When I was 18 I thought I knew it all, but here it
is 30+ years later and I'm still being humbled by how little I actually
DO know. I can't remember exactly when I finally realized I wasn't as
smart as I thought I was...
Had no question about that, myself. My Dad, being not too overly
concerned with what is known today as "self esteem", reminded me of that
on a daily basis! :)
One of my fave signs was about teens knowing everything.
Here's a newer poster: http://www.plus613.com/image/43954

-- Hugh Macleod
Scott Lurndal
2012-02-23 19:22:40 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Post by Swingman
clothing and rag needs in the shop. All of these items are rented and a
fee is paid to clean weekly. When the dirty rags are collected to be
cleaned they are excluded from the group if nay have the blue spots on
them and the shop is billed fro a replacement rag. Tossing a red rag
with a blue spot on it in to a group of red rags will contaminate the
other rags and they too will show blue spots. SO, automotive shops
typically throw away a red rag with blue spots on it.
Damn ... can still learn something new everyday.
Isn't that something? When I was 18 I thought I knew it all, but here
it is 30+ years later and I'm still being humbled by how little I
actually DO know. I can't remember exactly when I finally realized I
wasn't as smart as I thought I was...
It's true that the more one learns, the less one knows.

scott
Steve Turner
Lew Hodgett
2012-02-23 21:08:06 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
It's true that the more one learns, the less one knows.
-------------------------------
The further I go, the behinder I get.

Lew
Mike Marlow
2012-02-24 03:15:12 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Isn't that something? When I was 18 I thought I knew it all, but here
it is 30+ years later and I'm still being humbled by how little I
actually DO know. I can't remember exactly when I finally realized I
wasn't as smart as I thought I was...
It only gets worse with age. You find out that the more you know the more
you don't know...
--
-Mike-
***@windstream.net
HeyBub
2012-02-24 02:41:56 UTC
Post by HeyBub
I recently grabbed an ordinary red shop rag to wipe down a bathtub
with Muriatic acid.
The rag turned blue! (really an intense purple)
When the job was finished and I rinsed the rag, it turned back red!
Do I have a Litmus rag? Just out of curiosity, anybody know what went on?
Thanks everybody. I never knew shop rags had an acid marker!

What made this episode more confusing was that the rag had just come out of
(my) washing machine!

Anyway, the mystery is now solved. My appreciation to all who contributed.
Well done, folks.
Samanta tanzeem
2024-01-24 08:44:13 UTC
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org